French toast can be made low fodmap, fructose friendly and gluten free with a few, simple changes. The recipe below also has lactose free options.
There are both sweet and savoury options for french toast, depending on your mood, with both options tasting equally good, in my opinion. However, today, I've made a sweet version, served with banana and natural, unsweetened greek yoghurt (which I tolerate very well, but if the lactose in plain greek yoghurt is too much for you, substitute with lactose free yoghurt or cream).
(note servings are in metric)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 2 pieces of gluten free white bread
- 1/4 cup lactose free milk such as zymils
- 1/2 to 2 tsp of cinnamon (adjust to your taste)
- 1/4 cup of dextrose
- Mix the milk, cinnamon, dextrose and egg into a batter in a bowl. Dunk pieces of bread until they are soaked through.
- Melt coconut oil in frypan.
- Fry the bread for approximately 2 minutes per side (or until golden brown).
1/2 to 1 medium size banana (adjust for your tolerance) chopped. You can also substitute other safe fruit such as blueberries.
3 - 4 tablespoons of lactose free or natural greek yoghurt (depending on your tolerances)